There are three important to-do's and a number of tips below as you start to use your new MacBookPro.
- Register the Applecare warranty for your laptop under your parents name here. You can check that it is registered properly using this tip.
- Check that insurance for the laptop is all setup with your parents.
- Discuss with your parents Internet and game use at home so that you are great Digital Citizen who is Cyber-Safe and also balanced in your lifestyle. (We will be holding a session for parents this term on the use of K9 so that they can have Internet filtering on your laptop at home).
- Label the STIM cover with a stitched label or a tag on the Zip
- Decide if you would like a skin for your laptop (they can be purchased here, and on other sites) BUT you must have any with significant design/pattern or your own design on them approved first (i.e. these need approval) by your teacher or the ICT Director. Note that some types have cutouts for the Apple logo to shine through and others don't.
- How to videos are found here.
- A manual for your MacBook Pro 13" is here.
- More Tips here
- More Tips to become an advanced user are found here
- Our homepage for the 1:1 Blog is here
- You cannot create any other accounts on this computer as your account does not have administration rights. If you wish to do so take your laptop to ICT Support, knowing the names of the accounts you wish to create. DO NOT let anyone else know your password other than your parents.
- You can become an administrator of your own computer by passing the I.C.T. Pupils Drivers Licence (see it here), but this will take a bit of time. Passing this can hep you achieve your Bronze ICT Achievement badge AND in joining the ICT Crew.
|Click to Enlarge|
A recent survey in the States suggest that only 10% of parents have interacted with their children's Internet use. I would suggest that as parents we need to be involved in learning and values discussions with our children, in helping them learn safety on the web.
These are our tips for boys to show their parents their history or for parents to discuss the latest learning sites used with their son.
Firstly, keep in mind that there can be multiple browsers on a laptop. The most common are: Safari, Firefox and Chrome. We would ask that boys do not install any others as they are not required. Also keep in mind that all new cellphones have Internet browsers.
Secondly, Each of these browsers has on the menu at the top of the screen a "History" Menu. Simply click to view and look through.
That's it 1,2 and you have had another great moment with your child! Some parents have mentioned to me, "How do I respect my child's privacy, or stop them saying you don't trust me.' I would like to reply from my own experience as a parent and youth pastor the your children DO NOT have the right to hide this from parents that care and that if you establish this as a routine then it will be matter of fact. I checked up on my son and daughter's history until they were 16-18, I reserved this right while I was letting them use technology I had purchased for them.
Here is a quick overview of the Applications - Programs installed on the Apple MacOSX laptops in the school. They focus on learning and productivity. Of course, using Web2.0 documents are not covered in this entry, such as online mindmapping, GoogleApps, GoogleDocs, and delicious etc. So we will update you on our best web 2.0 picks very soon.
Have a look at the list and check out how you could use them. Also check out our top educational freeware/open source here.
Only implement the following steps if you are feeling confident about what you are doing.
All Internet browsers (Firefox, Chrome etc.) allow you to do something similar.... so if you are using a different browser then use these ideas to figure out how your browser works with bookmarks.
Pat said, "Well, here is the model number of the sound desk, look it up online, download the manual and read it through and you should be right in the morning."
I thought, "This will be interesting!"
In the midst of the last minute rehearsals the next morning, William was on-fire. He displayed knowledge and skill on the sound desk right from the get-go and contributed significantly to the success of the production. Another great example of life-long learning, have a goal and learn your way to it.
His ability to problem solve grew in leaps and bounds over the years and his confidence grew enormously as a result. Congratulations to Taylor for an amazing learning journey over a number of years at Medbury.
If you know how to use styles, create master pages with drop zones for images, distribute and arrange, use internal margins... then you may be getting close to the fantastic knowledge and skills that Martin has. Congratulations Martin for the outstanding contributions to I.C.T. at Medbury and for publishing and preserving some of the great writing in our school.
If you know how to use variables, sine, cos, have variables that write to files, create random generators then maybe you are getting close to their level of skill... they certainly know a lot more than me!
You have been trusted with an amazing tool! One of the best racing car tools in I.C.T. has just been given to a young driver. Why? Because we see incredible learning potential in your laptop, if you pick up your ict and learning skills and bring the Medbury values to your use of it.
Check out our top tips to get your racing car moving! Feel free to write your top tip in the comments section below.
Top Training Tips to get started on the FAST track
- Use the trackpad correctly. This will mean you will be faster in use and free up your other hand to use hot (quick) keys.
- If you are doing the same thing over and over ask, "Is there a quicker way?"
- Learn the hot keys...
- Setup your dock with your favourite programs.
- Setup your finder window with your favourite folder shortcuts.
- Figure out how to make folders, save bookmarks in folders... organise with power from day 1.
- Treat your laptop to daily care, charge it for the school day (don't overcharge and allow it to drain) and BACKUP today (if your laptop fails or is stolen your backup is the only way to get your files back).
- Set yourself a goal on your touch-typing BUT only do it if you are going to train yourself correctly "Fingers on home keys and eyes on screen only". (the TIPP10 program in Applications will help you).
- Check out the "Laptop Pupil's Licence" in the "ICT Ladders for Badges" resource and decide today to head towards Expert GOLD in this.
- Setup the security feature on your laptop - see the picture below(do not use filevault)
- Have fun, ask questions, learn and help others to learn.
|Set up your laptop security today!|
Keep your computer running lickerty split and smooth.
'This requires administrator access to your computer. We will be using ONYX, freeware available from here, with the latest version also usually in our freeware network share at school, so you do not need to download it. Generally, you should optimise your computer every month or so, and especially before and after a large MacOSX system upgrade (always use the combo updaters for these System updates). Locate Onyx in Applications... Onyx and run it. As it starts up you get asked for an administrators password.... Open up the attachment below for a quick tipsheet (use the 'Help' in the program for more details. [View : Download]
Download this file [View] for our take on the best hot keys to learn to get you going on using software and the OS X operating system (OS) at speeds that will make your friends envious... when you've learned some.. why not share the goodness with someone else.
Monocole is a small freeware utility that we have found that can significantly help in webs searching. Monocle is found here and we suggest you add other search engines to it as we have listed below to take your information exploring to the ultra expert level. Check out our "how to Use" tips sheet below.
- www.k8.ebonline.co.nz/elementary (free subscription for NZ schools to Britannica online) Setup if needed via TKI EPIC Databases
- Oxford English Dictionary Online Setup if needed via TKI EPIC Databases
Do you have any search engines you think should be added to this list? Make a comment below.
For the Databases Via EPIC you will need to get the password allocated to Medbury for this year.
Apple Software and Mac OS X.
- Apple manuals are found here: Mac OSX, iLife (iPhoto, Garageband, iDVD), iWorks (Pages, Keynote, Numbers)
- You can search or enter Apple forums here.
- MacBookPro Manual 2010 Model.
- Video and Text Tutorials (Photos, Movies, Mac Basics, Web Music and more)
- See Hot Keys for MacOS Experts [View : Download]
- Taking Great Digital Camera photos tip [View ]
- Shooting Video Tips (Storyboards, Shooting, Editing and more) [View PDF]
- ActivInspire Manual (PDF 6.9 MB)
- ActivInspire Video ActivTips (Online Videos)
- ActivInspire Promethean Planet (Promethean Planet Professional Development and online courses)
- Scratch (Getting Started PDF, Videos and Getting Started from MIT, ScratchEd more in-depth information)
- We will post more here as soon as we can.